|I've been participating in the OpenStreetMap project for a while, mostly adding roads that I found in my wanders, but for the last couple of months, I've been putting an intensive effort into making one region of the map as good as I can get it: The Mojave National Preserve:|
All of my changes to the map have been uploaded to the OpenStreetMap master database, which include:
Further, I've modified the map rendering on my own OpenStreetMap database/tileset instance (above), to make the map more useful for those of us who use it to wander around in the desert:
- Added Designated Wilderness areas from USGS database
- Correcting classification of dirt and 4x4-only roads as "tracks"
- Adding, correcting and adding detail to the railroads and power lines
- Adding mines, volcanoes, dry lakes, springs, sand dunes and many other land features
- Adding and correcting hundreds of tracks throughout the park
I'll always be on the lookout for more roads, land features, and other data to add to the Mojave area, but I think I'm done with the first big effort.
- Added special rendering rules for Designated Wilderness areas
- Added elevation contours (in meters)
- Added rendering of sand areas as speckled brown
- Raised the rendering of all minor features to zoom level 12
- Always render railroads as black-white tracks, so as to not confuse with roads
- Render un-reviewed tracks as slightly wider and partially transparent.